![]() |
Black Griffin Lane |
![]() |
St. Margaret's Street |
Access covers likely to be attributed to the Canterbury Water Works which was located in Wincheap and which now houses Dunelm Mill in a replica of the original building. The smaller one is in Black Griffin Lane
next to the pub; the larger one may be found in St. Margaret's Street near Waterstone's.
![]() |
Stour Street |
![]() |
The Parade |
This coal hole cover is located outside the Flight Centre on the Parade. This shop now occupies part of what is thought to be a pilgrim's inn similar to the famous Chequers which is situated diagonally opposite. This cover is likely to date from the 1880's, and was manufactured by Clark, Hunt & Co. of Shoreditch who, founded in 1838, called themselves the Middlesex Iron Works.
![]() |
King Street |
There are many of these concrete access covers dotted about the city. Rediffusion was a cable television company active between 1928 and 1988 and was particularly active in the south east once commercial television was given the go-ahead in 1954. Presumably these covers date from the later part of the company's lifespan? This one is in King Street on the corner with Blackfriars Street.
![]() |
St. Dunstan's Street. |